An optimum library management system allows to access the library catalog from anywhere across the Internet. This has without doubt made it very convenient and simple for book lovers to keep a track of where the books they need are and when they can actually obtain these. But searching for the best software for this purpose may be indeed a challenge. Some helpful tips to help you pick out the ideal library management software are:
1. Start by visiting all the vendors selling such library management software regardless of the size of your library, whether at home or at the church or in the school. Hire the software ideally from a local specialized vendor. Every vendor website is likely to offer an exhaustive summary of all the features of this software, at times even incorporating tours conducted online.
2. Ask for a demo by the vendors selected whereupon they may send someone working with them to your place to guide you through a demo of how to use the software on sale. You can literally use the software here through a computer while at the same time talking to the vendor either online or through conferencing before making your final decision.
3. Ask colleges that have earlier used such library management software for valuable inputs. This gives you an insight of its advantages and disadvantages.
4. Ideally you should pay a visit to the library using such software to check out for yourself its efficiency and utility. You may even jot down questions that you can ask other librarians and pros and cons of your existing software. Thereafter compare these observations with the new system that you are experimenting with.
5. Some vendors offer added features that you need to go through to see which ones can benefit your library. These how mean added expenses too.
6. Once you find software that you can purchase you have to see whenever it fits your budget and if you have the technical facilities to support it. Often a meeting has to be arranged between your tech support and the vendor.
7. After buying the software, get training for using it from the vendor till you are confident enough to put it in use.
How to use the software:
Read the instructions carefully that are given in the booklet or training tool to be able to use all the features intelligently and optimally.
Use the help features in the software even when before having encountered a problem. This tells you what kind of problems you may face in the future.
Call customer service to get your queries answered. Keep in touch with them on a regular basis and not simply when you face problems.