Today let’s discuss some of the types of programs that are available to help you keep your computer system safe.
TYPES OF ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS AVAILABLE
It’s pretty amazing how complex the subject of anti-virus programs can seem to be. It can be so very complicated that for most people it’s almost impossible to figure it out. But for most people it’s not necessary or even important to figure out all the technical details. You just need to know in general how they injure you so you can make the best decisions on what you personally need to remain unhacked and safe.
Maybe you are a serious person who uses a complex computer system for self-employment purposes and perhaps you have a small business with a computer system plus a highly interactive web site. In either case you really need to do a proper analysis to determine exactly how you are threatened and to take action before you are violated. Not after, Before. But don’t even consider buying anything until you understand what you need and what the product that you are considering will do to keep you safe.
Let me back up a minute. Those familiar with my posts know that I tend to use terms like viruses and malware and not differentiate between them. I realize that is technically incorrect but feel that most people are not IT engineers and have no need for the difference. But for you purists out there let me print this: “Let’s start with the differences between”viruses” and “malware.” Viruses are a specific type of malware (designed to replicate and spread), while malware is a broad term used to describe all sorts of unwanted or malicious code. Malware can include viruses, spyware, adware, nagware, trojans, worms, and more. Aug 21, 2013″ This from lifehacker.com
OK. Enough of that.
Any of us who use the internet can benefit from knowledge about the various anti-virus programs. These are more than helpful, they are a particularly vital type of program to save all your hard work. You use this to stay safe while doing whatever your business online is. Any time you access websites, you are open to the malcontents who will purposely infect your computer system. They may be doing this in order to gather information from you or even to spy on what you are doing. Or maybe just for bragging rights.
Good News: Effective anti-virus and malware protection is available.
You can protect yourself from the viruses or malware by installing a serious anti-virus program. In fact, do not even consider accessing the web without installing a cyber security program on both your home and/or business computer system. And I realize that there are a number of free downloads available and I also say that you generally get what you pay for so if you get a cyber security program for zero then that is probably what it is worth. Exactly.
Now I know most you are not IT engineers so I am going to keep it simple:
Types of Computer System Anti-virus Systems
- AVG. This is one of the most popular of the anti-virus programs. This type is especially among those available in those free download directly from a number of web sites located on the internet. It does not take up a gigantic amount of space on your hard drive. It also will work with a number of different Windows operating systems. It often contains both anti-virus abilities as well as anti-spyware. It manages to work by scanning all the files on your computer at regular intervals. It also has the ability to quarantine certain virus files so that they cannot do any serious damage before they can be checked out and then deleted.
- McAfee: This is a VirusScan and is the second most popular anti-virus program for many years running. This popularity has permitted the company manufacturing it to really cement their position as a really strong competitor to Symantec. It possesses spyware as well as virus protection within the one program instead of separately as most programs do.. When you buy it you will need to buy a subscription but that will enable you to have access to continuously updating virus protection.
- Norton: You will find a number of Norton anti-virus programs available and they are produced by Symantec. This is a businesslike group of products that have proven to be market leaders in computer security systems. They have products available from a range of different electronics supply stores. You will find that a majority of computer users on the market purchase Norton products and pay an annual fee for a subscription service. These are serious software programs that search your computer system regularly and delete any viruses and malware that they might find.
- Kaspersky: This is a Russian developed product and is not the most popular of all the anti-virus programs. Most of you have probably never even heard of them. However, they are quite effective for protection against viruses, malware, spyware, and even Trojans. Both Kaspersky Internet Security and Kaspersky Antivirus programs prevent problems that computers will encounter in the event that they become infected.
- Ad Aware: This software is by a company called Lavasoft. It is another anti-virus program and it provides protection against a large number of cyber security threats that arise when you use the Internet. The programs offer different levels of protection according to how much you might desire to spend in a one-time payment for their programs. These programs, in addition to finding and removing viruses and malware and spyware, can also detect key strokes and passwords, and it will protect against Trojans. I understand that improvements in their anti-malware technology allow it to provide very effective computer protection while not putting excessive pressure on your computer system.
Thank you for coming.